A SSD in Your Pocket

I woke up a few days ago and realized I was still carrying the same 32 GB USB flash drive on my keychain that I purchased in 2010. I thought to myself, this is an unacceptable state of affairs. Totally. Unacceptable. Its been few years since I seriously looked at USB drive performance. Premium USB flash drives typically eke out about 10-20 MB per second, strongly favoring reads, but Ive recently purchased a number of inexpensive 4 GB USB drives that barely got to 4 MB per second. Thats OK, since they were only intended as cheap floppy drive CD and DVD replacements. Based on that experience, I wasnt expecting much improvement in the status quo. USB 3.0 is finally becoming somewhat prevalent on PCs and Macs, so I figured Id: Switch to a current-generation USB 3.0 flash drive. Bump up to 64 GB storage this generation, one step over the 32 GB model I currently carry. Optimistically hope against hope that theyve gotten fast enough by now to get anywhere near USB 2.0 throughput limits. I checked around and the Patriot Supersonic Magnum got good reviews. The price seemed about right at $75 for a 64 GB device. So I bought one. I plugged it in to one of the USB 3.0 ports on my PC and … Holy. Crap. 237 MB/s reads and 143 MB/s writes? Yes please! Needless to say, this thing handily saturates a USB 2.0 connection at around 27 - 30 MB/sec but plug it into one of those blue USB 3.0 ports on newer Macs or PCs and prepare to feel like the "blown away" guy in the Maxell ad. I havent run a full set of benchmarks on this guy, but the only downside Ive noticed so far is that it is a bit chunkier in width than my previous USB flash drive. It might be a bit more to carry, and might not fit some USB ports depending on whats adjacent. Now I feel like a total dork for continuing to carry around a 2010 era flash drive that I thought had decent performance at 20 MB/sec. Forget that noise. Now we can darn near carry pocket solid state hard drives on our keychains! Nobody told me, man! So now Im telling you. Enjoy. [advertisement] Whats your next career move? Stack Overflow Careers has the best job listings from great companies, whether youre looking for opportunities at a startup or Fortune 500. You can search our job listings or create a profile and let employers find you.
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2012/11/a-ssd-in-your-pocket.html



[By Rss to Blog (Computer Tech)
Click Here
http://sbwasim.co.cc
Contact Me :wasimakhtar@sbwasim.co.cc]
[if you want to earn by Home just call Toll free No.02653090621 and give my userid DS630156 just try it its totaly free.]
[Recharge Mobile Online http://paytm.com/refer/sbwasim]
[Recharge Mobile Online http://paytm.com/refer/sbsamiksha]
[Want to earn by sending sms then go to http://ultoo.in/login.php?refererCode=12403E&flag=hide]
[If you want to advertise here contact me at wasim.akh2@gmail.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have any question please let me know

Microsoft Copilot Showing on Installed Apps in Windows 10/11 Settings

UPDATE: Microsoft has resolved the issue by releasing an update for Edge browser on April 26, 2024. Microsoft Edge version 124.0.2478.67 rem...